I’m over the moon Miss K came in for a session back in January and I was even more excited to get her client feedback survey and hear all the ways this session lead to her spending more time on self care, self love and just an overall investment in herself! Seriously, my absolute favorite part of being a photographer is getting to celebrate and encourage women.
Can I just say I about broke out into a dance party when this redhead walked in for her shoot?! I didn’t want to come on too strong, but it’s rare I get a beautiful redhead in for a boudoir session, and I was jazzed! There’s nothing I want more than for everyone to be able to look at the Fearlessly Feminine feed and see themselves in the images.
I will cherish my boudoir experience forever. Seeing the look on Will’s face when he opened the album brought me so much joy -- and not because he thought that every single shot was beautiful. It was because I didn’t have a shred of doubt that anyone else’s reaction to the images would change the way I viewed myself and who I’ve become -- a strong, beautiful, capable, and empowered AF woman.
I’ll be honest, I just didn’t know any better. At the time I thought keeping silent would hurt less than recounting aloud the graphic details that still haunt me. The first time I remember feeling violated I couldn’t have been more than nine. The bulk of the abuse happened when I was in high school, barely sixteen. He was over twice my age. I was abused by a family member, someone I loved. It was extremely difficult for me to separate the abuse from the grooming I experienced for years. I love his kids and his wife. I felt like it was my fault. I didn’t know who to tell. I was unimaginably ashamed. I was afraid my family would hate me. Not being believed, scared me. Going through a trial, petrified me. I felt alone and not supported.
Mrs. L chose to do a Fearlessly Feminine session for her 5 year wedding anniversary as a present for her hubby! She and her husband have two kids, and she wanted to celebrate their life together with some gorgeous photos that they could have forever.
This year I'm excited to start frequently offering travel boudoir sessions! Who's excited about a new adventure? I know I am!
I did this session in Nashville on a rad roof top and modern condo! The ladies flaunted their beautiful selves in the pool, on the balcony and in the bedroom!
Where do you dream of being photographed? What's stopping you from booking your session now?! Here are my top seven reasons to say yes today!
1. You want to join the self love club! and mean it.
2. It's your birthday! And you wanna celebrate in your birthday suit!
3. You want a day all about you where you feel pampered and sexy AF!
4. You want to step outside your comfort zone.
5. You want to celebrate an big event! Are you getting married? Divorced? Had a baby?
Got a promotion? Graduated?
6. You want to own your sexuality and feel empowered!
7. You want to give a really fabulous gift to someone you love!
Let me be honest, you don't need a reason to celebrate your amazing self. I'm all for body positivity, self love and girl power all day, every day. BUT there are 7 great reasons above and I'm happy to help you come up with more! Girl, you deserve this!
I love working with Miss K! She's confident, beautiful, and a seriously hard worker! She did this session for herself and her new husband as a surprise. What a perfect wedding present to give the love of your life!
She absolutely blew us away at her shoot with her willingness to try new things and fun poses; I'm so happy with how these images turned out, and I feel so blessed to get to work with this babe!
Below Miss K shares about her session; I love how she talks about how beautiful the process made her feel and the way she encourages other women to participate in something like this for themselves as well!
Why did you choose to do a Fearlessly Feminine shoot?
I chose to do a Fearlessly Feminine shoot because I wanted to do something special for myself and for my fiance.
What was your favorite part of the experience?
The whole experience was out of my comfort zone. I got my hair and makeup done. I got to wear sexy lingerie. Seeing the photos was my favorite part. It made me feel beautiful.
How did your boudoir session make you feel?
I was nervous at the beginning. I didn't know how to pose. Through the session, I became more comfortable and confident.
Would you do another Fearlessly Feminine shoot?
Would you recommend a session like this to anyone else? If so, who?
What did you do to prepare for the shoot?
I bought a few new outfits. I took extra care of my skin and face including a hot bath the night before, eating well and drinking plenty of water.
What image was your favorite?
Honestly, I love all of the images I chose. The image that shows my booty is probably the favorite one. I think that is one of my best features.
What products did you decide on? Are you happy with your choice?
I chose the black leather book. I wanted it to be a surprise!
If I offered you a million dollars, could you hold your breath underwater for 15 minutes? Unless you’re an amphibian, the answer will be 'No.' The brain’s innate drive for oxygen would override any “willpower” to win the prize. If you’re currently living on a steady diet of sugar-enhanced foods, your brain is similarly re-wired, demanding that next “hit.” Your willpower has as much of a chance at resistance as the ability to keep your body underwater.
We know sugar is not a healthy substance. You see, I was once a sugar addict. When teaching 8 hours daily at school, a few bags of Skittles or M&Ms would be my “high” along with about 4 Diet Cokes or Diet Dews. But I realized that these sugar hits always led to a crash — and then a craving for even more — which made it clear to me that it was time to make a change.
Sugar acts within the brain’s “Reward Center” mechanism (it’s like the brain’s equivalent of the elementary school Gold Star chart) Upon eating sugar, your brain releases Dopamine, our favorite “feel good” hormone, which is the same one that’s triggered by other pleasure mechanisms like sex or exercise. Through the same mechanisms as drug addiction, frequent sugar intake means that the brain eventually gets accustomed to that high and become less sensitive to sugar. So, to get the same rush, your brain requires more and more sugar over time.
Here’s how it works: You eat a sugary food, your blood sugar levels spike, and your body releases Dopamine and insulin (which triggers your body to store the sugar as fat). Then comes the “crash”: your sugar level plummets and you feel tired, hungry, and reach for the next sugary treat. It’s purely chemistry and these physical urges completely override your willpower and desire to eat healthy.
Look, we all know it's going to sneak in somewhere. You don’t need to become a biochemist to cut back, and you can still even have a sugary treat once in a while. But if you’re tired of this sugary chemistry experiment going on in your brain, follow these tips to at least minimize the majority of added sugar.
Learn its disguises: As tricky as this seems, sugar is almost never called just “sugar” on ingredient lists, so you have to be smart about spotting where it hides. Here are a few tricks: avoid anything ending in “-ose” like sucrose or maltrose. Look out for the buzzwords of “syrup,” “nectar,” “cane” and “sweetener.” And be mindful that even natural sugars, like agave or honey, still contribute to your daily sugar limit.
Cut Out Liquid Sugar: Drinking sugar-sweetened beverages? News flash — your brain doesn’t even recognize these calories as food, leading to a high and crash that will end with you eating even more.
DIY: You don’t have to completely cut out everything sweet; I don’t like my coffee black or my yogurt plain, but it’s a lot easier to control the amount of sugar you’re adding if you do it yourself. Add a half-packet to coffee instead of letting the barista talk you into a fancy, sweetened frap. Buy plain Greek yogurt and add berries and honey; I guarantee it will have less sugar than the fruit-flavored, sugar-laden packaged kind. As it often does, it comes down to a simple truth: it’s a lot easier to know what’s going on in your body if you control what you put into it.
Some might think it is just plain crazy to work out while on vacation. A quick 20-30-minute sweat session in the morning though can leave you feeling way less guilty about indulging in food and leave you feeling energized for the rest of day.
Here are a few of my favorite exercises that can be done anywhere at any time. The first examples are all body weight exercises:
Staying in a hotel? No problem- Give this a try!
- One-Leg Burpees, Cross-Body Toe Touch, Elbow Plank Hops, Squat Jumps with Alternating Side Leg Lifts, Seated Ab Scissors. Complete this routine 5 rounds with minimal rest.
Just because you are on vacation doesn’t mean you have to throw your fitness out the window. Try a mixture of these on your next vacay and feel the difference. Remember, a quick workout is better than no workout!
Miss S was glowing, not only from the sun peeking through the trees, but also from the love and beauty of motherhood. Miss S has told me often how much she's enjoyed being pregnant. She's embraced each change at every turn and loved watching her little man grow so close to her heart.
To me being fearlessly feminine is embracing your body and celebrating your femininity and this session did just that!
Miss S, you know I love you dearly. You're always beautiful but pregnant you exudes a new kind of grace and its extra lovely. Cheers to getting to hold that baby soon, I know you're anxious for his arrival!
Miss E came to me one day and told me she was ready for a fearlessly feminine session and I jumped for joy.. literally! I love getting my girls in front of the camera! Miss E is not only a badass babe in front of a camera, but she's also part of the ASP/FF team! And as you know, we believe in girl power, and owning your body. She's perfect example of confidence and self-love, and we wanted to celebrate her with a shoot that showcased her femininity.
Miss E is a student and amazing artist! This girl does it all, and she looks fantastic while she does it.
Miss E, we couldn't be happier to have you on the team! Sara and I had so much fun working on your session and celebrating you! You're gorgeous and we adore you! Thanks for being your detail oriented, email sending, photography passionate self!
Feminism used to be taboo, and now it seems to be a dirty word. Why are so many people offended by the word feminism?
FEMINISM: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.
"Why don't we just call it equality?" you may ask. Equality blurs the line of male and female, assuming that everyone should be treated like men are now. With feminism, the main difference is that females should be given the same respect and opportunities as males, but we should still be able to act "like a female" or "like a male". Feminism strives to make equal opportunities available to anyone of any sex or gender. Many people assume that feminism only benefits females, when in fact it benefits everyone!
Here are the top 10 reasons everyone needs feminism:
- In many countries around the world, women are considered property and have little to no rights to make their own decisions. Feminism fights for the rights of these women and girls that currently do not have a voice.
- Femininity is not only seen as a weakness in females, but in males, as well. This means anything deemed "soft" has been unacceptable, or frowned upon for men to do.
- Anything considered a "wifely duty" (hello, 1950's), such as being a stay-at-home parent, cleaning, cooking, etc., creates a stigma that only females should do/be good at. This is harmful for men who want to be a stay-at-home parent, or any man who wants to be independent and be able to take care of himself and his home. Breaking this stigma means great things for the kids being raised today. I know I want my future son or daughter to be raised without those expectations weighted in either direction.
- Feminism, if it's correctly represented, is intersectional-meaning it includes all races, genders, and is working toward equality for all people who may deal with oppression.
- Unlike what extremists may tell you, feminism is inclusive of everyone with different political views. You can be a democrat, republican, libertarian, or affiliated with any other party, and still be a feminist. As long as you believe that women are people who deserve the same rights as men and the same opportunities, congratulations: You're a feminist!
- Feminism helps to create a dialogue about taboo topics like sex, sexuality, rape, and many others that otherwise would not be discussed in an open environment. This helps us move towards solutions for problems, and helps victims not feel so alone and chastised. #yes!
- Feminism makes for better fathers by making it socially acceptable for men to be stay-at-home fathers and equally as active in their kids lives. Some men grow up believing that men cannot be loving or vulnerable, even with their children and wives, so feminism can help them to realize that getting in touch with their softer side is completely okay!
- Feminism creates healthier relationships, because partners see each other as more of equals, and treat each other with respect. Healthy and happy relationships create healthier and happier people!
- Just before the election this past November, there was a hashtag trending that said #RepealThe19th, as in the 19th Amendment that granted women the right to vote. This was so sad, even if it was meant as a joke at first, many people jumped on this bandwagon being completely serious.
- Women make up less than 20% of Congress, but after Trump won the election, 11,000 women from all 50 states were inspired to run for office. Representation matters, and this is a great step towards putting more women in local and state-level government!
If you still don't think we need feminism in today's society, I'd like to show you the group of people who were voting for WOMEN'S rights just this year in the USA:
Seems to be an odd gender choice to speak about women's issues, don't you think?
Just one woman's humble opinion...
There are obviously so many other reasons I could add to this list, but for now I will leave you with these 10, and hopefully an urgency to support efforts towards furthering women's rights and equality across our nation, and the world.
Tell us in the comments below why you need feminism, and how it has impacted your life, and/or the lives around you:
Miss E planned her session as a gift to her fiance. It was totally out of her comfort zone and she was excited to surprise him with a present he'd never be expecting! We're so proud of Miss E for living life on the edge! Getting outside of your comfort zone can be scary AND also extremely rewarding!
E, you killed this session! I loved giggling our way through the session and creating some unbelievable images for your very lucky man! Best wishes as you start the adventure of marriage!
Read more about Miss E's session below!
- Why did you choose to do a Fearlessly Feminine shoot?
I chose to do a Fearlessly Feminine shoot because I wanted to capture something truly unique and special for my husband to be.
- What was your favorite part of the experience?
My favorite part of the experience was of course getting all dolled up , wearing beautiful lingerie, and getting to do something out of my comfort zone!
- How did your boudoir session make you feel?
My boudoir session made me feel like a goddess. Alisha brought out a side of me I didn't know existed. Going into it I was very nervous, coming out of it, I felt amazing.
- Would you do another Fearlessly Feminine shoot?
I would certainly do another fearlessly Feminine shoot!
- Would you recommend a session like this to anyone else? If so, who?
I would recommend a session like this to any woman. Every woman should feel on top of the world.
- What did you do to prepare for the shoot?
I bought several outfits. I tried all of them on many times so I felt comfortable in front of the camera.
- What image was your favorite?
My favorite image was me leaning against the dark wall in my little black outfit with my head turned, smiling. This image made me feel incredible. It showed me I did this, and I loved it!
- What products did you decide on? Are you happy with your choice?
I chose the black leather bound book. I know when my husband to be opens it, his jaw will drop.
The New Year may be in January, but my resolutions don't kick in until summer starts. Usually, all spring long I tell myself I have to get "summer-ready," and while I do want to look good in all my cute new swimsuits I impulse-bought on Amazon at 3 am, I still want to make sure I enjoy my summer. So, I figured I would make a list of 10 "resolutions," or goals, that I want to be able to check off by the end of the warmer months.
1. Travel and push myself to try new things
2. Attend lots of pool parties
3. Go to the gym for all of the booty gains
4. Be confident enough to wear my bikini while eating all the food at barbecues
5. Get a nice medium between "glowy" tan and "Jersey Shore" tan
6. Spend time with friends I haven't seen in a while
7. Spend time with myself
8. Enjoy the sun, but remember sunscreen
9. Be consistent in cardio so my heart can handle all the love in my life right now
10. Spend less time sleeping in, and spend more time sleeping in the sun. Because the early bird gets the afternoon nap!
I may add to the list later, but these are the things I think I'll need for an amazing and unforgettable summer so far!
Let me know in the comments what you're putting on your own list, or what you think I should add to mine!