Feminism used to be taboo, and now it seems to be a dirty word. Why are so many people offended by the word feminism?
FEMINISM: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.
"Why don't we just call it equality?" you may ask. Equality blurs the line of male and female, assuming that everyone should be treated like men are now. With feminism, the main difference is that females should be given the same respect and opportunities as males, but we should still be able to act "like a female" or "like a male". Feminism strives to make equal opportunities available to anyone of any sex or gender. Many people assume that feminism only benefits females, when in fact it benefits everyone!
Here are the top 10 reasons everyone needs feminism:
- In many countries around the world, women are considered property and have little to no rights to make their own decisions. Feminism fights for the rights of these women and girls that currently do not have a voice.
- Femininity is not only seen as a weakness in females, but in males, as well. This means anything deemed "soft" has been unacceptable, or frowned upon for men to do.
- Anything considered a "wifely duty" (hello, 1950's), such as being a stay-at-home parent, cleaning, cooking, etc., creates a stigma that only females should do/be good at. This is harmful for men who want to be a stay-at-home parent, or any man who wants to be independent and be able to take care of himself and his home. Breaking this stigma means great things for the kids being raised today. I know I want my future son or daughter to be raised without those expectations weighted in either direction.
- Feminism, if it's correctly represented, is intersectional-meaning it includes all races, genders, and is working toward equality for all people who may deal with oppression.
- Unlike what extremists may tell you, feminism is inclusive of everyone with different political views. You can be a democrat, republican, libertarian, or affiliated with any other party, and still be a feminist. As long as you believe that women are people who deserve the same rights as men and the same opportunities, congratulations: You're a feminist!
- Feminism helps to create a dialogue about taboo topics like sex, sexuality, rape, and many others that otherwise would not be discussed in an open environment. This helps us move towards solutions for problems, and helps victims not feel so alone and chastised. #yes!
- Feminism makes for better fathers by making it socially acceptable for men to be stay-at-home fathers and equally as active in their kids lives. Some men grow up believing that men cannot be loving or vulnerable, even with their children and wives, so feminism can help them to realize that getting in touch with their softer side is completely okay!
- Feminism creates healthier relationships, because partners see each other as more of equals, and treat each other with respect. Healthy and happy relationships create healthier and happier people!
- Just before the election this past November, there was a hashtag trending that said #RepealThe19th, as in the 19th Amendment that granted women the right to vote. This was so sad, even if it was meant as a joke at first, many people jumped on this bandwagon being completely serious.
- Women make up less than 20% of Congress, but after Trump won the election, 11,000 women from all 50 states were inspired to run for office. Representation matters, and this is a great step towards putting more women in local and state-level government!
If you still don't think we need feminism in today's society, I'd like to show you the group of people who were voting for WOMEN'S rights just this year in the USA:
Seems to be an odd gender choice to speak about women's issues, don't you think?
Just one woman's humble opinion...
There are obviously so many other reasons I could add to this list, but for now I will leave you with these 10, and hopefully an urgency to support efforts towards furthering women's rights and equality across our nation, and the world.
Tell us in the comments below why you need feminism, and how it has impacted your life, and/or the lives around you: